About Rob Lewis…
Currently, Rob performs as a solo instrumental act with mallet synth and loops at the Portland Airport as well as playing for private parties and events. He also freelances for local bands on vibes, drums or percussion. Rob has 3 solo CD’s out: “Stop Loop & Listen” , “Forever Endeavor”A Delightful Misconception. They all contain a great variety of musical styles and feature mostly original material, but also songs by Mongo Santamaria, Henry Mancini, Bela Fleck, Eric Satie, and others.
Rob Lewis is originally from
Since moving to the Portland/Vancouver area in 1997, Rob has performed with his own quartet at Jimmy Maks (jazz nightclub), and also with local notables such as Terry Robb, Johnnie Martin (Performances at Blue Monk, Heathman Hotel, Jazz DeOpus, Bacchus, Queen of the West, Empress of the North and Portland Spirit (cruise ships), Viscount Ballroom, Crystal Ballroom, Oregon Art Beat (television), KMHD’s Homegrown Jazz Show (live radio), The Bite, Portland Art Museum (Concert series), Seattle Art Museum, Portland Zoo concert series), 3 Leg Torso, and Paul Delay & Janice Scroggins. He also played drums for the “Muttonchops”, the house band for LiveWire! radio theater for several years. Rob got to play the opening act for Pink Martini, during a successful California tour in 2004.
On staff at Reed College, Lewis & Clark College, and the Oregon Ballet Theater from 1997 – 2007, Rob accompanied Ballet, Contemporary, and Improvisational dance classes with electronic and acoustic percussion as well as performing with and composing music for several College dance shows.
Rob has accompanied master classes by dance companies Paul Taylor, Alvin Ailey, Kim Robards, Bebe Miller, Andy Wong and Martha Graham.
On staff at Marylhurst University from 2000 – 2003, Rob taught courses in Improvisation, and Percussion Techniques to Music Therapy students, led the student Jazz Ensemble, and gave private lessons on campus.
· “A Delightful Misconception” Rob Lewis 2016 – Electric Mallet Instrument and loops, featuring original songs.
· “Forever Endeavor” Rob Lewis 2011 – Electric Mallet Instrument and loops, featuring original songs.
· “Stop Loop & Listen” Rob Lewis 2010 – Electric Mallet Instrument and loops, featuring original songs.
· “Polyglot” Mike Van Liew 2004 – Vibes, Xylophone
· “Astor In Paris” 3 Leg Torso 2003 – Vibes, Xylophone, Hand Percussion, Drums
· “No Picnic” Johnnie Martin 2002 – Drums
· “The Winter’s Tale” Score and Live accompaniment for the play by Shakespeare performed at
Lewis & Clark College. 2003
· The Dowager’s Idyll An animated film score (with 3 Leg Torso) for Joan C. Gratz, in conjunction with
Will Vinton studios. 2000
Publications: “Crosstraining” by Rob Lewis. A textbook with 2 accompanying CD’s, designed to aid and inspire budding percussionists, by showing the universality of techniques and rhythms on Drumset, Hand Percussion and Marimba published by Mel Bay Publishing in 2003.